Leadership Reading Group Opens for Registration
Cohort 7 will Begin in September 2022
Harry S. Truman said, “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers”. To support our nonprofit leaders in developing and sustaining a healthy reading habit and provide opportunities to study leadership using literature, Fieldstone Leadership Network San Diego created the Leadership Reading Group in 2015. To date, six groups of leaders have participated in the programs. Reaching a milestone at year 7, the Leadership Reading Group is now open for registration. The program is set to begin in September 2022 and will run through June 2023.
Professionally facilitated by Stefanie Schiff of San Diego Book Talk, the group meets together once a month for a total of 10 months. Using fiction, non-fiction and trade books, the facilitator will model how to lead a book discussion using different types of materials. Learners will then select a book from a curated book list and work with a partner to facilitate one of the remaining six sessions.
Participating in the program has proven to:
- Provide an opportunity to commit to and develop a systematic reading habit to sharpen intelligence and increase knowledge.
- Help the reader read more deeply and better understand diverse perspectives.
- Allow the reader to build and deepen relationships through shared learning.
- Develop leaders who are more comfortable and confident in professional discussions and in using literature as a teaching tool.
According to one participant from Cohort 5, “ The Fieldstone Leadership Reading Group is a wonderful opportunity to learn from fellow mission-driven leaders. The Reading Group will challenge you to look at leadership from new perspectives, and inevitably lead to personal and professional growth.” Another participate from 2021 agrees sharing, “The Leadership Reading Group Program was an invaluable experience, not only for the material in the books and great discussions but also for the friendships developed with other nonprofit leaders. I would highly recommend this program!”
Specific Benefits of the Fieldstone Leadership Reading Group
- The program is designed purposely to allow the members to develop a skill that they can use as a leadership tool within their organization for continuous learning.
- The experience will build cross-sectoral relationships as the members will be paired together to work jointly on the facilitation of a reading group session and develop trusted relationships with each other through discussions and shared insight.
- Technical assistance will be available to each participant in preparation for their monthly facilitation.
- Professional feedback will be provided to each pair from the facilitator, as well as from the peer group, to gain insight and further develop technique.
- Access to a professionally curated book list. All literature is selected for its ability to aid and inspire the personal leadership development of the nonprofit leader-readers.
The Ripple Effects of our Leadership Reading Group:
Cohort 1 is now beginning its 7th year of meeting contnuously.
Cohort 2 is now beginning its 6th year of meeting continuoulsy.
One member of Cohort 3 has now written a best selling book.
One member of Cohort 4 will be facilitating a new literature program for Fieldstone beginning in October 2022.
One member of Cohort 5 has created a book group at her organization for staff and board members.
The Leadership Reading Group is available to both executive directors and senior leadership of a nonprofit organization in San Diego County. Each group is limited to 12 members. Applications for the 2022-2023 Group are due July 1, 2022 and are available HERE