Individual candidates for this program should:
- Be an executive director of a nonprofit organization in San Diego County.
- Be an outstanding Leader who has a demonstrated track record of contribution to the community.
- Work for a nonprofit organization (employees of educational institutions and government agencies, as well as consultants, are not eligible for this program).
- Hold primary or significant responsibility for management of the organization’s funds.
- Have worked a minimum of ten consecutive years in the nonprofit sector (though not necessarily for one organization) without significant leave.
- Be willing to participate in the various programs of the Fieldstone Leadership Network San Diego and the peer network of sabbatical program alumni.
- Be employed full-time at the applicant organization.
- Live full-time in San Diego County.
- Require outside assistance to be able to cover a three-month leave.
- Be committed to staying in a current executive leadership position with the same or another nonprofit organization in San Diego County for at least 5 years (not planning to retire within the next 5 years).
The candidate’s employing organization should:
- Be located in San Diego County.
- Be recognized by the community for its programs.
- Have at least three full-time paid staff.
- Look to the applicant’s sabbatical as an opportunity to develop the next level of leadership within the organization.
- Offer its endorsement of the request for leave, and submit a work plan for organizational management during the candidate’s absence, and upon candidate’s return.
- Need financial assistance to underwrite the candidate’s leave.
- Be able to sustain regular operations during the candidate’s absence.
- Time away from work: This may take the form of pleasure travel, pursuit of avocational interest, time spent at home or with one’s family. The leave can combine more than one element or location, but candidates should take care not to overschedule their sabbatical time.
- Minimum of three consecutive months: The three consecutive months must begin within one year of the award notification date. Additional time off is at the discretion of the organization.
- Submit all program reports by deadlines: There are a few reports that are required in preparation for the sabbatical and after the sabbatical. It is expected that each report is completed by the deadline. Delays in reporting can result in a loss of funds and termination of the program.
- Continue to participate and support the Fieldstone Leadership Network San Diego: Sabbatical award recipients are expected to take part in a peer network with other alumni and to be active participants in Fieldstone Leadership Network San Diego programs.
The Clare Rose Sabbatical Program is offered on an annual cycle:
- Applications submitted by 11:59pm PST: January 31, 2023
- Semi-finalist organization site visits: March 15, 2023 and March 16, 2023
- Finalist individual CEO/ED in-person interviews: April 19, 2023 or April 20, 2023
- Notification of awards: late May, 2023
- Mandatory orientation for recipients: June 7, 2023
- Sabbatical start date: after October 31, 2023 and before June 30, 2024